AQUA EUROPA call upon EU policy makers to revise the UWWTD in a way to different issues, like:
- Bring circularity into wastewater by elevating resource efficiency ambition.
- Boost energy efficiency in the wastewater sector to contribute accomplishing climate neutrality goal by 2050.
- Mainstream digitalisation in the wastewater sector.
- Address storm water overflows and urban run-off.
- Deal with new contaminants.
- Help bridging the existing EUR 253 billion finance need and step up 2021-2027 EU financing available for the wastewater sector and innovative wastewater technologies.
- Benchmark wastewater sector service in the EU, as a follow up measure, which would facilitate the exchange of best practices and technology solutions in the EU and beyond.
- Build up policy coherence with the Water Framework Directive, Industrial Emission Directive (IED) and the Sewage Sludge Directive potentially through the upcoming Zero-pollution plan for air, water and soil, in an effort to avoid legal uncertainties, including the ones about the thresholds between the WFD and the IED and industrial wastewater.